Taxpayers with both PAN and aadhar card must link them before June 30th, 2017. In case if you failed to do so, then your PAN card will become invalidated. Even if the income is below the tax exemption limit, one must link their pan with aadhar. If you don’t have an aadhar card, then you don’t need to link with PAN. However, you will not be able to file for e-tax returns. From July 1, 2017, one must provide UID number as identity proof when applying for a new PAN card.
There are three methods available for linking the PAN card with UID number. They are online, SMS and Offline. Let’s take a look at each of these methods in detail.
This is by far the easiest method and one can do this by just having an internet connection. Just follow the below steps:
- Visit the official website of Income tax department. Log in with your username and password.
- If you are a new user you have to register into the portal by providing your personal information and PAN details.
- After you logged in, go to the profile settings tab and click on Link Aadhar button.
- Next, a form will be displayed where you have to enter your name, aadhar number, and other personal information.
- After filling out the details, solve the captcha and then submit the application.
- Your linking will be automatically verified and you will see a confirmation message on the screen.
You can compose a message from your mobile and send an SMS for linking numbers. You have to send a formatted message to 567678 or 56161. We are not sure of the format of the message. Please check the e-filing website for the format of the message.
Those who failed to meet the June 30th deadline can use the offline method. You have to download the form from IT website or you can get one from e-seva and fill out all the required details. You will also have to submit the aadhar card as proof. You can click here to download e-copy of UID number online. The only catch here is that you have to submit a declaration stating that “you didn’t use the aadhar number to link with another pan card”. If you try to misuse the offline method by linking it with multiple pan cards, then you will be in trouble.