Link Aadhaar Card to Income Tax Return: In order to make sure that the Income Tax Returns of applicants have been filed successfully, technically there are two major things that the regular taxpayer should ideally be taking care of – first is to ensure that the Aadhaar number is linked with PAN card and the next is to quote their Aadhaar number in proper Income Tax Returns.
Income Tax Act’s Section 139AA was implemented as of July 1st, 2017 and according to that, every person eligible for obtaining Aadhaar is mandated to quote his or her Aadhaar number at the time of applying for their PAN or filing their return of income.
Link Aadhaar Card to Income Tax Return
When someone applies for a new PAN card, they will be asked to furnish their Aadhaar number. Using this, the government will be able to identify the true PAN holder through the Aadhaar number. In addition to that, linking Aadhaar with ITR and PAN card helps to strengthen the rules which are set in place concerning cash related transactions in the period post demonetization.
Here are the steps to link Aadhaar to Income Tax Returns:
- The customer has to go to the online Income Tax Portal for Income Tax e-Filing.
- The customer has to then click on the “Link Aadhaar” option which will be under the section of “Quick Links”.
- The individual will then be directed to the page titled “Link Aadhaar”.
- The customer then has to enter his or her PAN, Name, Aadhaar Number and Captcha Code.
If the customer’s birth year is mentioned on the Aadhaar card, he or she has to select the square that states that, “I have the only year of birth in Aadhaar Card”.
The customer has to then click on the “Link Aadhaar” option at the bottom of the page in order to complete the entire process.
How to find the status of Aadhaar Link Request?
After the customer has successfully submitted a request in order to link his or her Aadhaar number to the Income Tax Returns, they have to follow the below-mentioned steps to track the status of the same:
- The user has to go to portal.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/e-Filing/Services/AadhaarPreloginStatus.html
- The user has to enter his or her PAN and his or her Aadhaar number.
- The user has to click on the option of “View Aadhaar Link Status”
- The individual will now have access to know the status of their Aadhaar link request.
- This is how the Aadhaar Card can be linked to Income Tax Return.
Apart from this, it is very crucial to keep in mind that Aadhaar Card is one of the most important documents for an Indian citizen, and hence, it is your sole responsibility to safeguard your Aadhaar card, else it might be misused by hackers who might steal your information.
So, even while updating any detail of your eAadhaar Card, you need to ensure that you don’t share the details and the EID, UID or OTP in any case, with any third party person or vendor so that you can keep your details safe.